3rd grade Explorers
Back to Computer Class
In 3rd grade, students are exposed to the world of discovery. They have four Explorers they are responsible for knowing. Information needed is the usual who, what, when and where. Not an easy task since they have to imagine a world over 500 years ago. To help with this task, students will build a timeline using Kidspiration. A template has been created specifically for this SOL.
Click here for a template for your Kidspiration
1. The countries of Spain, England, and France are located on the continent of Europe.
2. The United States is located on the continent of North America.
3. Regions are places (areas) that have common characteristics.
4. San Salvador is located in the general area of the Bahamas.
5. St. Augustine is located in the general area of Florida.
6. Quebec is located in the general area of Canada.
7. Jamestown is located in the general area of Virginia.
3.3 The student will study the exploration of the Americas by
a) describing the accomplishments of Christopher Columbus, Juan Ponce de Léon, Jacques Cartier, and Christopher Newport;
b) identifying reasons for exploring, the information gained, and the results from the travels.
3.5 The student will develop map skills by
a) positioning and labeling the seven continents and four oceans to create a world map;
b) using the equator and prime meridian to identify the four hemispheres;
c) locating the countries of Spain, England, and France;
d) locating the regions in the Americas explored by Christopher Columbus (San Salvador in the Bahamas), Juan Ponce de Léon (near St. Augustine, Florida), Jacques Cartier (near Quebec, Canada), and Christopher Newport (Jamestown, Virginia);
e) locating specific places on a simple letter-number grid system.3.6 The student will interpret geographic information from maps, tables, graphs, and charts